Monday, October 18, 2021

October the Eighteenth: Buntings and Bows #Blogtober2021

 Whenever I've gone to England, I've always noticed buntings hung all around, making celebrations even when there isn't one. Buntings, banners, and pennants were originally used as early as the seventeenth century to brighten events and add an air of celebration. Here in the U.S. they were often available for patriotic occasions. I remember them when I was very young, but usually they were the plastic flags on a string used at furniture stores and used car lots. (I can say that. My dad sold used cars.) 


I have a passion for buntings. I especially like to make them from vintage images glued to paper and chipboard shapes. I arrange them on leaf or floral garlands and then start adding fabric strips, tulle, muslin, vintage trims, buttons, doilies, ribbon, lace, and whatever else I have. Some of them had tiny pumpkins.





I've used the same plan to make one with birds and flowers for our bedroom window. I made another one for the kitchen , and also several for Christmas, Valentine's Day, all the seasons, and St Patrick's Day. I have started to sell them, and have put a few in my Etsy shop, Victorian Gypsy. I also have a booth at an antique mall and sell them.

Another style I like to make is from old quilt pieces and vintage fabric yo-yos.  I like to put buttons or beads between the circles. I acquired a large bag of circles and needed to find something to do with them. Some of the circles are made into pockets.


This picture is pretty plain, but I usually put buttons between each of the puffs.

Most of my photos are Halloween related tonight, but I do like these made from antique quilt top pieces. Some unknown lady made enough of these for a quilt, but never got them put together.

1 comment:

  1. Your halloween buntings are adorable; I couldn't find your etsy site when I look on etsy under Victorian gypsy, is there an address? Are you making these for Thanksgiving and Christmas? I would love to see what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete