Sunday, October 3, 2021

October the Third--Acorns and Oak Leaves





I have moved a few times in the past several years, and each time until I had a house again I downsized more than I wanted. One of the hardest things for me was going through my sewing and craft supplies to get rid of things I would never use. When one is a crafter and scavenger by nature it is easy to believe that anything can have a creative purpose. My daughter was helping me to clear a room that was my "studio" in preparation for the move to my tiny space as a fraternity house mother in the coming phase of my topsy turvy life. She was getting quite exasperated since I kept saying that I needed to keep each bit of fabric, ribbon, and paper. She opened a tiny drawer, and exclaimed, "Finally, something we can throw away!" I was horrified, and said, "Meghan, don't you know how hard it is to find good acorn tops?" She just looked at me like I had finally gone over the edge. And maybe I had, because now it is really easy to buy bags of them on Etsy. That probably started my acorn collection. I have always liked them, but after my friends heard of that conversation, I started to be gifted with them. My daughter bought me my first acorn charm necklace. I think it was to remind me of that momentous occasion. But I have heard that wearing an acorn around your neck will help to prevent premature aging. And if you want to carry it in your pocket it will help to keep you forever young. 
Acorns have also been seen as a talisman to keep a person strong when facing difficulty. They are a sign of security and abundance. It was often said that setting an acorn on a window sill would guard against lightning. To sleep with an acorn under your pillow would help a person to overcome challenges.
         
Acorns are often used in fall decorating. These oversized acorns are on a shelf with pumpkins. I can tuck them into tiny spaces.
 Real acorns are often used in fairy gardens. I have seen the middles scooped out and replaced with the tiniest of gifts. Some of my favorite little people are made by the well known artist and author , Sally Mavor. They are amazing and very detailed. Many of them wear hats of acorn tops.


This darling fairy house was constructed by two of our granddaughters and has a roof of acorn tops.

"Great oaks from tiny acorns grow".  As the trees start to lose their leaves, make a wish, and try to catch an oak leaf as it falls. If you do, you will get your wish.


                       October is here. Dance in the leaves and keep an acorn in your pocket!




 

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea about all the acorn lore that existed. I have an oak tree in my yard and I will definitely be paying more attention to it and all its acorns in the future. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

    ReplyDelete