Thursday, August 1, 2024

A Meandering Path


Many, many years ago, I began to write a blog. I think it was going to be a sweet little blog, about babies, and children, decorating and crafting. Perhaps I even pictured myself in a pinafore. Swirling.  I don’t remember. Years have passed, and life doesn’t always stay as sweet and magical. Sometimes it has to be lived in extremes. I think that now my musings (and my Muses) are on a meandering path, going this a-way and that-way, backwards and forwards. Just the way that our days go.

Life has been good to us since I last wrote. It's been good since John and I became a couple. Old People Romance. Sigh.  A lot has happened, yet I never recorded it here. We love our house. Moving was one of the best things. Not the actual moving, of course, but the result. Selling the old house felt like it took forever, and was a little bit stressful. I guess St. Joseph really wasn't very happy about being buried in our front yard.  Sadly, I miss my little white cottage (the she shed) and our front porch. The rest of the house never really felt like my own. Even though it was a charming old farmhouse, our new house is much more sensible. Being sensible was never one of my virtues, but it works for me now.  We actually have more space, even though it is smaller. And we are trying not to be the Keepers of Things!

We have traveled with friends, family, and each other. My two traveling friends and I revisited my favorite place in the world (England) last fall. Costa Rica with all the Braffords happened in February. There were fifteen of us!  Clear Lake and Le Claire here in Iowa. A girls' trip to Omaha with my three daughters and teenager Tess will be this weekend. And the grand finale for the year will be an adventure in Italy in October. 

With all the birthdays, graduations, and celebrations, time goes so quickly. I think a lot about what I really want to do. I just had a birthday, so maybe that's why I feel so introspective lately. I always feel that birthdays are the real beginning to a new year and a good time to make plans.

I have been working on a big project. I want to get my old writings into book form. I have saved a lot of what I wrote before I ever had a blog. There are bits and pieces of wisdom and chaos, After I get it all organized it may be a book just for me, and especially for my children. I've spent a lot of time reliving the past and reading my old newsletters, columns, journals, and poetry.  I would love for it to turn into a real book of essays. 

For some unexplained reason, I stopped writing online this year. And now I am wanting to get my pencils sharpened and my voice back again. Any cheering on would be appreciated. Recently, I have been trying to start a little column on Substack. That seems to be where all the people I like to follow are now. So far it isn't going too well, because I can't figure it out. Technology has once again gotten the best of me. I dream of taking a computer class that just teaches me the things I want to know!

Hopefully, I have broken the curse of not having a thing to post. Please look for me again soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment