Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Celebrating Friendships


 


Today was my second Christmas party of the 2021 season.  Time is going way too quickly for me, but then it always does. This is my Craft Nite group. We have been meeting once a month since at least 1977. None of us can remember exactly when we began, but I know it was when my daughter Bridget was still a baby.(Sidenote: It's funny how we tell time, isn't it? Not so much by the date, but by what was happening. And by the ages of our children. So much of my timekeeping in the past several years has been by "befores" and "afters". But that's another story.) 
Craft Nite began with four of us. We were all young mothers who liked to create, but felt that we hardly had time alone to make and do. At first we all worked on individual projects, but later we would make the same thing. We've never had a shortage of ideas. We had some pretty elaborate crafts for many years. There is a lot of talent evident in this group of ladies. We have met monthly for many years now, and our numbers have expanded and contracted. We have lost one dear friend during this time, and others have moved away. We've had very elaborate dinners and sometimes two desserts.We used to stay up half the night, and once we even stayed until we heard the birds singing. Now we meet during the day, and seldom make anything. And if we do, it's very simple. It isn't really about the crafting.
We have been together through many joys, and just as many sorrows. We have been able to confide in one another, and laugh and cry together. We do have some unwritten rules. There are opinions about the world situations that we will never all agree upon, and things we know will never change, so those are subjects we ignore. There are many, many other things that keep us bonded.
We met today at a restaurant. Weeks ago we drew names for our annual secret gift exchange. We also bring small tokens for one another. What a patchwork of presents we had today!


There were ornaments, purchased and handmade, candy, pumpkin bread, panettone, potpourri, gift cards for coffee, chocolate, and the newest calendar from Cindee Moyer, who is an extraordinary doll artist. Last year she had my name, and I was lucky enough to receive her original Sally Hemings. 


I made a small fabric bunting for each of the ladies with three fabric pennants. The middle one has a Christmas tree brooch. I have a large one in my front room as an Advent calendar. Yesterday when I was finishing them, I feared I would have to take the large one apart and borrow a few of the triangles. But I found what I needed at the last moment. Which is of course, part of the lesson I am always learning............Remember to Plan Ahead!


No comments:

Post a Comment