Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Don't Talk Dirty to Me

 


I've never thought of myself as a prudish person, but I suppose that I am a lady who resides on the proper side of life. Lately, I feel that society's language has gotten out of control. Could it be that I am the only one who is bothered by excessive profanity? It seems that everywhere I go, I hear conversations and see words that used to be saved for special occasions only.

My children commented once about the fact that I don't swear. I told them it wasn't because I didn't know how, but that I chose not to. I'm not saying that I have never used powerful language. I have saved it for when it really seemed necessary. Now, it seems to be wasted on the ordinary.

I think many of us in my advancing age group grew up at a time when we seldom heard our parents use curse words. My mother's phrase of choice was "Judas Priest". My dad could get a little more colorful, but not very often. John's grandpa liked to say "Fiddlestix". My father-in-law would say "Shoot that sherbert, Herbert." I have no idea what any of that means.  I used to like a sentence that I learned in Spanish class. It sounded very fiery, especially if said with feeling. It actually translated to "Gosh, I forgot my notebook!"

But now I hear language that never used to be tolerated being said as part of a normal sentence. When did these words start being used as adjectives and adverbs? Why can't some people talk without adding these colorful words to every sentence. Whatever happened to grammar?

I was shopping today. I walked by a group of women in their twenties or thirties. They were having a normal conversation, but everything they said was sprinkled with spice. It's become so common that there isn't any meaning to it. I was also by the pharmacy when it was closing for lunch, as some of them do now. I saw and heard a very disgruntled customer who started yelling that he was there at one minute before closing time. He was threatening the pharmacist and called her names that I am still shocked by and wouldn't ever think to say. I really wondered if he might come back with a gun. I hurried through my shopping, and when I left, there was a police car parked outside the door. Maybe that's common now. I don't know. I do know that I am a lot more comfortable when I shop online.

It isn't just the words we hear. It's also the words we see. In the bookstore, I noticed so many off-color words in titles, especially journals, planners, calendars and self-help books. I'm not sure if it is because of the shock value or if publishers think these will be more attractive to customers. But they are everywhere.

I work in an antique mall one morning a week. Recently there was a bit of a controversy because someone complained about offensive words and phrases that had been added to the middle of pretty antique plates. The vender is very popular, and I enjoy seeing her booth. But I have to say I was shocked by the plates, and that they would be on display. There's a high volume of traffic, and lots of parents bring children when they visit. The problem was fixed by putting black ribbons on the plates and tying bows. Of course, people move the ribbons to see what is hidden. So, it isn't really solved. These plates are big sellers. I really can't see having one in my house, but I don't want to criticize anyone's decorating style. Personally, I think that some things are inappropriate and that people just like to see how far they can go because it must be fun to make others uncomfortable. Yes, I guess I do sound like a prude. I'll just go make myself a nice cup of tea and ponder the state of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment