![]() |
| I found this on Google and might keep it. I like it. |
It was our second date. We were watching tv and getting to know each better. Suddenly John turned to me and asked, "What's your morning routine?" I really wasn't prepared for that one. At the time, I was a fraternity House Mom, and my main morning routine was making sure that I was up, dressed, and visible by 8:00 a.m. That was when the magic happened. I was ready for deliveries, meetings, inspections, disasters and whatever else came my way. My most memorable morning was when I stopped the firemen from breaking our front door with an axe because of a malfunctioning alarm. I was really glad I was right there in the room when they came to call! That was really the only routine I had at the time. And coffee.
But I guess that is the first time I realized that morning routines were something people thought about. Now it has become quite a thing. Of course I googled it. And I found out that there is quite a variety of routines that are popularly followed by those with much more discipline that I have or even want.
Becoming even more intrigued, I checked with YouTube. Do you know how many videos there are of people brushing their teeth? Hundreds, at least.
There is a difference between a morning routine and a morning ritual. A routine is a set of actions and habits one does in a fixed order right after waking up. A ritual is made up of slow intentional acts. I guess it is the difference between putting a coffee pod into the Keurig, and fresh grinding the specialty coffee beans, and then adding spring water to a French press coffee pot. And then taking the time to watching it brew while meditating.
My mornings are based on whether I'm going somewhere or if I am staying home. If I'm going to be home, I am lazy, but I could probably turn coffee into a ritual. If I have to be somewhere early in the morning, my routine is pretty streamlined. I like to get ready as quickly as possible. My only hint for this is to decide what I will be wearing the night before. Actually, that is pretty good advice.
Some of the morning routines that I read about lasted more than an hour with plenty of time for grooming, prayer, inspirational reading, and exercise. I was surprised at the people who liked to begin their routines at 5 a.m. I've never been secretive about the fact that I am truly a night owl. I am sincerely trying to change that but it isn't easy to do. I know I'm not ready to be up at 5:00, unless it's for an adventure.
I recently heard this little story. Grandma was staying with her nine-year-old grandson and trying to help him get ready for school. Finally, he looked at her and said, "Gigi, you are interfering with my morning routine!" I wonder if he is on YouTube.

No comments:
Post a Comment