Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Messages in the Night


Last night I woke up with a sudden profound thought and knew I should write it down because I wouldn't remember it in the daylight. I try to keep a pen and notebook on my nightstand for just such moments. I had the pen, but I needed to get up anyway and look for the notebook. I actually have three pens that light up for writing in the dark. They are kind of fun. One has a white light, one is red, and the third is blue. So here is my very important thought:

"Life is all a muddle lately." 

And I guess it must be, if it is waking me up in the middle of the night. I'm working on a couple of projects, and they are keeping me over-absorbed. And as a result, I have a bad case of bathtub in the hallway syndrome. Some of you may remember, and some might not, but many years ago, when my children were small, we were always in the middle of remodeling some part of our very old house. We decided to switch the small laundry room and very large bathroom which were next to each other. We had a cast iron clawfoot bathtub and had to move it into the hallway while waiting during several decorating delays. The wallpaper was late and then the rolls didn't match so it had to be ordered again. The plumbing took some time. The laundry room needed to be finished first. There was just one thing after another. It took forever and we were always tripping over and around the tub, which was right in the middle of the hall. The longer it lasted, the more I talked about the tub. For some reason it became part of every conversation I had. No matter who or what or where, I complained and moaned about the bathtub. And ever since, I think about it whenever I am feeling totally overwhelmed by a little situation. I was definitely in a muddle.


I really need to take some time and put away Summer and get ready for Fall. It is official, after all. I am bringing boxes of autumn decor up from the storage room and slowly getting things out. I don't think I go overboard, but I do like this season. Nothing is photo ready, that's for sure. Reminds me of the bathtub.

No comments:

Post a Comment