Wednesday, September 2, 2026

 


I've been traveling this week. I spent a few days in North Carolina visiting my three sisters. The reason for the trip was my brother-in-law's funeral, so it wasn't really a time for fun. But anytime I can see all my sisters at one time is a good time. It is also overwhelming. So today I am putting away laundry and not doing much else.

I feel very close to my sisters even though I don't get to see them often. The three of them were born within a five-year period and have always been a part of their own little world. I am several years older. I moved away and got married when Shawna (the youngest) was only three. They have always been "the girls". I've always been the older, normal sister.

 Everyone in my family has a story. There is always something happening. Now one of them is in the absolute unorganized throes of moving and is more scattered than anyone should ever have to be. One has just published a book. (Not me, but I am now working on mine more seriously than ever.) One has just lost the love of her life after a long and terrible illness.  And I am more normal than I even was before. I don't mind being normal, as long as I can also be funny, creative, and whimsical.

As sisters do, we are always giving each other advice. And not often listening to it. As the oldest, I also think I am the wisest. Not always true, of course. They have a lot more life experience then I do. And they have lived and loved in lots more places. I'm the one who has barely moved outside of my original neighborhood. They have all lived on the east coast for many years, and in many different circumstances and places.

Here is my advice. 1. If you are scattered and totally discombobulated, make a list. Concentrate on three things only. Then move on. Do not try to do everything that is in your head at the same time. 2. If there is a secret, make sure that only one person knows it, or it won't be a secret anymore. These things always come out at funerals. Or at the receptions. I still remember the time that we all found out at a funeral dinner that a long-time married aunt and uncle were first cousins.

After the funeral, the rest of the trip was very quiet. No one really wanted to do the usual shopping and visiting we usually fill our time with. We actually binge watched tv, and it was just what everyone needed. We chose a show called "Bad Sisters". It is quite a dark comedy drama, and there have only been two seasons. Two of us made it through all eighteen episodes. It is set in Ireland and involves five sisters who are unsuccessfully trying to commit a terrible crime. Anyone with sisters will identify with parts of it. Hopefully, not the murder parts.





No comments:

Post a Comment